Since 2006, Students for Life of Illinois has been Ensuring a Pro-Life Future!
Our Mission is to ensure a pro-life future by providing high quality personal mentoring of pro-life student leaders on a maximum number of Illinois campuses that results in the exponential creation of compassionate, capable and passionate pro-life leaders and a contiguously pro-life campus environment.
In college, John-Paul Deddens saw fellow students fall victim to the tragedy of abortion. “I should do something.”
Then, he witnessed a friend help a random, scared, young mother through her pregnancy. “I can and will do something.”
From his dorm room in 2006, he started Students for Life of Illinois to serve where it is needed most: on campus. Turning down a lucrative job offer in 2008, he went full time for SFLI. This sacrifice made him the first staffer in the nation of a statewide pro-life organization for college students.
Expanding in 2011, John-Paul sent Kevin Grillot to bring love, joy, and hope for life to Chicago students.
Every year, SFLI adds another Campus Mentor to the team. And every year, more students than ever join in loving life!
Kevin Grillot, Executive Director
Morgan McFarlin, Campus Mentor and Programs Director
Pamela Suresca, Campus Mentor
Anna Slater, Campus Mentor
Students for Life of Illinois is designed to improve and optimize the effectiveness of collegiate pro-life groups. We do this in the following ways:
- Campus Mentorship Program: SFLI calls and equips pro-life leaders through intentional, high-impact mentorship that grows knowledge, accountability, and a desire to win their campuses for life.
- Education: Weekly informative discussions on various life issues!
- Activism Day: Dynamic, monthly multi-campus activism events designed to educate and activate students.
- Group Optimization: SFLI works directly with students to build strong and effective pro-life groups to build a Culture of Life on campus and have a profoundly visible pro-life presence.
- Annual Conference: Nationally known speakers train students on how to be effective activists and inspire them to put all their passion into the pro-life movement.
- March for Life: We support students’ initiatives to attend the March for Life and provide resources to optimize the experience and build up students so they come home ready to make a difference on campus.
- Summer Leadership Retreat: Each summer we host a retreat to provide leadership training, inspiration and community to student leaders.
- SFLI Website: www.ProLifeIllinois.com connects students across the state, providing inspirational and educational materials to help students be the most effective pro-lifers possible.
- Pregnancy Resources: When a college woman decides not to have an abortion, she needs love and support so that she can finish her education and support her child. SFLI connects pregnancy resources to the students who need them.
For the COMMUNITY
- 40 Days for Life: SFLI leads the 40 Days for Life campaign in Champaign, IL
- Cupcakes at the Capitol: We help lobby for pro-life legislation in Springfield
- Action Alerts: We keep thousands of Illinoisans up to date with urgent action alerts for legislation, pro-life action and more.
- Stop Illinois FOCA Coalition – We helped start and build the coalition to fight the Illinois FOCA bill.
- Speak Out Illinois Coalition – We are part of Speak Out Illinois.
- Stop The Abortion Mandate Coalition – We are part of the Stop The Abortion Mandate Coalition.